[bitcoin-dev] Opinion on proof of stake in future

Eric Martindale eric at ericmartindale.com
Sat May 8 13:44:24 UTC 2021

Mr. Singh,

Proof of Stake is only resilient to ⅓ of the network demonstrating a
Byzantine Fault, whilst Proof of Work is resilient up to the ½ threshold.
You can explore prior research here:
https://download.wpsoftware.net/bitcoin/pos.pdf

Independent of the security thresholds, Proof of Stake requires other
trade-offs which are incompatible with Bitcoin's objective (to be a
trustless digital cash) — specifically the famous "security vs. liveness"
guarantee.  Digital cash is not useful if it must be globally halted to
ensure its security, and Proof of Work squarely addresses this concern.

Above and beyond any security consideration, Proof of Stake incentivizes
the accumulation of wealth within a small set of actors, which is
undesirable for the long-term health of any such network.  If we are to
free humanity from the tyranny of the State, we must do so by protecting
the rights of every individual to hold and preserve their own value,
without trusting any third party.  Entrusting the health of the network to
the "economic elite" is the paramount evil with respect to Bitcoin's
objectives, nevermind that Proof of Work relies on energy expenditure to
provide its security.

Sincerely,

Eric Martindale, relentless maker.
Founder & CEO, Fabric, Inc. <https://fabric.fm>
+1 (919) 374-2020

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 6:50 PM SatoshiSingh via bitcoin-dev <