[bitcoin-dev] Full Disclosure: CVE-2021-31876 Defect in Bitcoin Core's bip125 logic

Antoine Riard antoine.riard at gmail.com
Wed May 12 13:19:37 UTC 2021

Hi Luke,

> Is there a list of software impacted by this CVE, and the versions it is
fixed
in?

Speaking only for LN clients, as I think they're the only ones deployed
with real funds at stake. Defect is mitigated by new "anchor" channel type,
forcing RBF-signaling on all transactions.
* lnd v0.12 "anchor" activated by default, lnd v0.10 "anchor" activated by
user flag
* c-lightning, no release yet with "anchor" support
* eclair, no release yet with "anchor" support
* rust-lightning, no release yet with "anchor" support

> (Note this isn't a vulnerability in Bitcoin Core; BIP125 is strictly a
policy
matter, not part of the consensus rules and never safe to rely on in any
case...)

Answering two-folds.

First I somehow agree it's not a "vulnerability" in Bitcoin Core but at
least a clear lack of compliance to a heavily relied-on bitcoin standard
through the ecosystem. Even if BIPs are descriptive documentation and not
prescriptive, I don't think we have guidelines for now on how to proceed
with identified flaws with security implications for downstream projects.

Should the Bitcoin Core project adopt a security bulletin or advisories for
security-related info pertinent for downstream ?

Secondly, opinions were divergent on the security list on how to report on
this. On one side, tx-relay and mempool acceptance rules aren't considered
as reliable or strongly normative and purely a matter of node's policy.

On the other side, we have more and more deployed Bitcoin
applications/protocols (e.g LN, vaults, ...) directly making security
assumptions on them. Even if we consider such beliefs misplaced or
ingenious, we're laying on top of a permissionless system and can't really
prevent developers and users from deploying such softwares.

Should we stay on this statu quo and invite such Bitcoin users to deploy
their own overlay network for transaction propagation satisfying their
advanced requirements, at the price of far-less censorship-resistance and a
more opaque fee market for everyone ?

Or instead qualify a new, third set of rules between consensus and pure
"policy", especially crafted to support Bitcoin applications requiring
transparency and stability of tx-relay and mempool acceptance rules, at the
price of ossifying some part of full-nodes ? Of course, the degree of
normativity we could guarantee for those rules is making them compatible
with economic incentives of everyone. Hopefully fostering their wide
dissemination across full-node implementations and miner mempools.

You have good arguments and trade-offs on both sides.

Overall, I agree that describing tx-relay/mempool rules as non-normative,
non-reliable is the most understood mental model among developers *today*.
That said, I would like to underscore that this model might not be adequate
in light of recent ecosystem evolutions and reveal itself a bit crippling
the future...

Cheers,
Antoine