[bitcoin-dev] Proposal: Force to do nothing for first 9 minutes to save 90% of mining energy

Keagan McClelland keagan.mcclelland at gmail.com
Mon May 17 17:28:39 UTC 2021

In principle the idea of making your transactions not mineable except by
miners who follow some particular practice is something that can and should
be discussed. For instance, it could help give economic signals for future
soft forks such that users can declare preference in a costly, sybil
resistant way.

As I understand what you are asking, you want users to be able to issue
transactions that can only be included in blocks that are signed by miners
whose certificates can be traced back to some set of certificates that the
sender has "whitelisted". The trouble here is that in order for this to be
an open system, the user would need to be able to include an unbounded
number of optional certificates in the transaction itself, otherwise the
rest of the network would be unable to validate whether or not the
transaction, when included in the block fit the consensus rules or not.

This is not possible for rather obvious reasons:
1. transaction sizes cannot be allowed to be unbounded because this creates
denial of service attacks for the broader network
2. if the valid certificate set is not unbounded, then centralization
pressure will mount on the bound between the Nth and N+1th certifier.

Finally, all of this would require a rather large consensus change to even
implement. Given how contentious the proposal of a "choose your
miner/certifier" is, it is unlikely to gain the necessary support in the
form of code, review, miner signaling, or user uptake for a UASF.

That said, not all is lost. If you truly care about only having your
transactions mined by "green" miners or whatever other qualification you
are going after, then this can likely be implemented in upper layers as you
suggested. You can submit your transaction via an overlay network directly
to any miners that fit your criteria. Since miners operate in a selfish
way, it is not in their interest to share your transaction with other
miners, and the probable case is that your transaction will only be
included in a block that is signed by your preferred authority.

I should note though, that you may be waiting forever for your transactions
to be mined and your business partners might choose not to do business with
you in the future due to delays caused by virtue signaling to nocoiners.

> Please don't be dismissive, it is an open forum and everybody is entitled
to his/her/its own opinion.

It is, in fact, an open forum and everyone is entitled to their view,
including being dismissive of yours.

> I respectfully submit that people who know how to launch rockets to the
sky and beam high-speed internet from the satellites to every place on
earth are at least capable of understanding how Bitcoin works. There is
even an english expression which reads 'it is not a rocket science' which I
think fits especially nicely in this particular case :)

No one is contesting that Elon and the rest of the technical staff at Tesla
are *capable* of understanding Bitcoin. We are just asserting that, at
present, they do not understand the underlying mechanics well enough to
give consistent rationale for their choices, and because their public
statements reveal either a deep hypocrisy, or deep ignorance in their
understanding of Bitcoin.

Keagan

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 8:11 AM Anton Ragin via bitcoin-dev <