[bitcoin-dev] Proposal: Low Energy Bitcoin PoW

mike at powx.org mike at powx.org
Tue May 18 10:59:46 UTC 2021

Devrandom is correct to point out that there is nuance to these things and it’s better to look at the details rather than proclaiming that PoW is PoW. (I do agree though w the original point that other ideas often turn out to reduce to PoW despite their convoluted architecture)

A note on the key difference between hardware and energy as it relates to centralization:

Hardware is easily transferable. If you have low electricity costs, Bitcoin ASICS need to be physically located in proximity to use it. You can’t sell your low power costs on an open liquid market (you can sell your hash rate but that still requires all the miners next to the power plant). Hardware can be sold online freely to anyone anywhere in the world.

If a small number of foundries are producing low energy opow hardware (just as there are a small number producing SHA256 ASICS- in fact it would be the same set foundries, somewhat expanded because optical chips use larger, older nodes... for example Global Foundries has a great photonics process at 90nm), they can (and will) still sell the hardware to people all over the world.

There is a huge latent demand for BTC mining. Many people currently buying alt coins or even BTC would prefer to invest in mining if they could turn a profit despite their high energy cost.

Another clear benefit would be the difficulty of detecting and controlling low energy mining relative to the ASIC-warehouse-next-to-waterfall model used today. You can’t move a waterfall if the local government decides to regulate you.

Just some thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone