[bitcoin-dev] Consensus protocol immutability is a feature

vjudeu vjudeu at gazeta.pl
Sun May 23 20:41:32 UTC 2021

> Because the above block header format is hashed to generate the `prevBlockHash` for the *next* block, it is almost impossible to change the format without a hardfork.

First, assume that everything should be validated as today to be backward-compatible. For that reason, removing SHA-256 is impossible. Then, notice that breaking SHA-256 would mean that there would be more and more leading zeroes in "prevBlockHash". Breaking SHA-256 fully would mean reaching all zeroes hash. So, the old client would see "prevBlockHash" with all zeroes.

Soft-fork means that previously valid blocks could be invalid, so rules should be more strict. And that means we could have two headers, one for SHA-256 and one for SHA-3. Normally, it would mean that our 80-byte headers would take 160 bytes instead. But we could compress it a little bit if we share some data.

> * `nVersion`: 4 bytes

Version would be some higher number than today and validated as today. It could be shared for both headers.

> * `prevBlockHash`: 32 bytes, SHA2 of previous block.

Previous block hash in SHA-256 would have more and more leading zeroes, so we could reuse them and fill with SHA-3 truncated to N bits. In this way, after fully breaking SHA-256 it would be fully replaced by SHA-3. Until then, first N bits could refer to truncated SHA-3 and the rest to SHA-256. When passing that to old nodes, that bits could be zeroed, but all new nodes should see them and perform SHA-3 validation.

Example:

SHA-2 of some block: 000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f
SHA-3 of the same data: 95587d55da5108290c46bac70b622715ae380ef7a313febcc27aeb1c51a28d90
32 bytes stored for that block: 95587d550019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Of course, we should perform SHA-3 on a different data than used for SHA-2, at least merkle root should be recalculated, but it is just an example showing how single 32-byte string could store data for both hash functions.

> * `merkleTreeRoot`: 32 bytes, SHA2 of topmost Merkle tree node.

If SHA-256 would be broken, then we could use single coinbase transaction to prevent doing transactions in the old way. That transaction would contain SHA-3 of the new merkle root, as you mentioned. New nodes could treat that transaction as some kind of annex to the block header, but still doing SHA-2 is needed for backward compatibility. For that reason, storing 32 bytes for SHA-2 and 32 bytes for SHA-3 is needed, unless we have some fast way to get hash with all zeroes, then we can save that 32 bytes.

> * `nTime`: 4 bytes, miner-imagined time.

Time should be the same in both headers, so there is no need to duplicate it.

> * `nBits`: 4 bytes, encoded difficulty target

Difficulty should be different for SHA-2 and SHA-3. Finally when SHA-256 would be broken, we could reach 03000000 for SHA-256 and store only SHA-3 difficulty.

> * `nonce`: 4 bytes, random number with no other meaning.

Nonce should be also different for SHA-2 and SHA-3. If SHA-256 would be fully broken, it could be set to zero for SHA-2 and stored only for SHA-3.