[bitcoin-dev] A Stroll through Fee-Bumping Techniques : Input-Based vs Child-Pay-For-Parent

Antoine Riard antoine.riard at gmail.com
Fri May 28 04:13:44 UTC 2021

> Unfortunately, ACP | SINGLE is trivially pinable [0] (TL;DR: i can just
attach an output paying immediately to me, and construct a tx chain
spending it). We are using ACP | ALL for Revault,
> which is the reason why we need a well laid-out pool of fee-bumping UTXOs
(as you need to consume them entirely).

Oh yes, I should have mentioned this pinning vector. The witnessScript I've
in mind to make secure that type of chain of transactions would be one
MuSig key for all contract participants, where signature are committed with
SIGHASH_ANYPREVOUT | SIGHASH_IOMAP, one pubkey per participant to lockdown
the transaction with SIGHASH_ALL. I think it works and prevents malicious
in-flight attachment of input/output to a multi-party transaction ?

> I believe that it's better to broadcast a single fan-out transaction
creating your entire UTXO pool in advance. You could create one coin per
contract you are watching which value would be
> used to bump your transaction feerate from the presigned one to -say- the
average feerate over the past month, and then have smaller coins that you
could attach to any transaction to bump
> by a certain threshold (say, 10sat/vbyte). You would create as many small
coin as your reserve algorithm tells you (which could be "i need to be
able, worst case, to close all my contracts
> with the worst historical feerate." or (fractional reserve version) "i
need to be able, worst case, to close 10% of my contracts at the average
feerate of the past year, the remaining ones sorry
> for my loss"). [1]

> This method is both much more optimal (though you need to sometimes incur
the cost of many small additional inputs) and also makes sure that your
feebump does not depend on the confirmation of a first stage transaction
(as you can only RBF with new inputs if they are confirmed).

I see, so you spread your bumping UTXO pool in two ranges : at least one
bumping utxo per contract, and a subpool of emergency smaller coins, ready
to be attached on any contract. I think this strategy makes sense for
vaults as you can afford a bunch of small coins at different feerates,
spending the ones not used afterwards. And higher cells of feerate reserve
as the worst historical feerate are relatively not that much compared to
locked-in vaults value. That said, I'm more dubious about LN, where node
operators might not keep the worst-case fee-bumping reserve, as the time
value of the coins aren't worth the channel liquidity at stake.

> Why not just attaching it at the tail of the chain? Bumping the last
child with additional input would effectively be a CPFP for the entire
chain in this case.

Yes, input-based bumping targeting the tail of the chain works at the
transaction level. But if you assume bounded visibility of network
mempools, one of your counterparties might have broadcast a concurrent
state, thus making your CPFP irrelevant for propagation. Though smarter
tx-relay techniques such as "attach-on-contract-utxo-root" CPFP (or also
known as "blinded CPFP") might solve this issue.