[bitcoin-dev] Interrogating a BIP157 server, BIP158 change proposal

Dustin Dettmer dustinpaystaxes at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 09:53:00 UTC 2021

Jim Posen,

A few years ago you mentioned roastbeef’s proposal of a P2P message to
retrieve all prev-outputs for a given block:

1) Introduce a new P2P message to retrieve all prev-outputs for a given
> block (essentially the undo data in Core), and verify the scripts against
> the block by executing them. While this permits some forms of input script
> malleability (and thus cannot discriminate between all valid and invalid
> filters), it restricts what an attacker can do. This was proposed by Laolu
> AFAIK, and I believe this is how btcd is proceeding.

I’m trying to find the follow up on this. Was there discussion about it
under another name (thread, PR, bip etc)? Apologies if I’m being obtuse and
it’s easily found but for the life of me I can’t find any references.
Bip157 seems to not make any mention of it.

Thanks!
Dustin

If anyone has other ideas, I'd love to hear them.