[bitcoin-dev] bitcoin.org missing bitcoin core version 22.0

Charles Hill chill at degreesofzero.com
Wed Oct 20 19:43:27 UTC 2021

Hello, Owen,

The GPG signature verification has changed for bitcoin core version 22
and later. There were two main changes:

1) The sha256 checksums are now in a separate file from the GPG
signatures. So download a new file named "SHA256SUMS" (contains the
checksums) and also the "SHA256SUMS.asc" which contains the signatures.

2) The signature file now contains multiple signatures. These signatures
are generated by multiple "builders" who have provided their own public
keys to verify against. Not all builders will provide a signature for
each release.

You can find more information at bitcoincore.org/en/download/ [1] under
the "Linux verification instructions" section - click to expand.

Instructions about where to find and how to import the full list of
"builder" public keys can be found in the bitcoin core github repo [2].

 > I also notice that, as of 22.0, Wladimir is no longer signing the
releases, and I have no trust in my gpg network of the people who seem
to have replaced him.

The list of "builder" public keys includes many long-time bitcoin core
contributors as well as Wladimir's. Caution is always warranted but
please do not spread unnecessary FUD.

- chill

[1] https://bitcoincore.org/en/download/
[2] https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/tree/master/contrib/builder-keys