[bitcoin-dev] Note on Sequence Lock Upgrades Defect

darosior darosior at protonmail.com
Mon Sep 6 06:16:44 UTC 2021

Hi Jeremy,

I think it would be nice to have and suggested something similar (enforce minimality) in the context of
Miniscript a few months ago [0].

However your code:

const bool seq_is_reserved = (txin.nSequence < CTxIn::SEQUENCE_FINAL-2) && (
// when sequence is set to disabled, it is reserved for future use
((txin.nSequence & CTxIn::SEQUENCE_LOCKTIME_DISABLE_FLAG) != 0) ||
// when sequence has bits set outside of the type flag and locktime mask,
// it is reserved for future use.
((~(CTxIn::SEQUENCE_LOCKTIME_TYPE_FLAG | CTxIn::SEQUENCE_LOCKTIME_MASK) &
txin.nSequence) != 0)
);

Would effectively prevent Lightning Network commitment transactions from relaying. The protocol uses
a hack encoding the commitment transaction numbering in the part of nSequence (and nLockTime)
without consensus meaning. This both sets the LOCKTIME_DISABLE_FLAG and uses bits outside of
the mask.

[0] https://github.com/rust-bitcoin/rust-miniscript/pull/246#issue-671512626
[1] https://github.com/lightningnetwork/lightning-rfc/blob/master/03-transactions.md#commitment-transaction