[bitcoin-dev] Reorgs on SigNet - Looking for feedback on approach and parameters

David A. Harding dave at dtrt.org
Fri Sep 10 20:00:05 UTC 2021

On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 11:24:15AM -0700, Matt Corallo via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> I'm [...] suggesting [...] that the existing block producers each
> generate a new key, and we then only sign reorgs with *those* keys.
> Users will be able to set a flag to indicate "I want to accept sigs
> from either sets of keys, and see reorgs" or "I only want sigs from
> the non-reorg keys, and will consider the reorg keys-signed blocks
> invalid"

This seems pretty useful to me.  I think we might want multiple sets of
keys:

0. No reorgs

1. Periodic reorgs of small to moderate depth for ongoing testing
without excessive disruption (e.g. the every 8 hours proposal).  I think
this probably ought to be the default-default `-signet` in Bitcoin Core
and other nodes.

2. Either frequent reorgs (e.g. every block) or a webapp that generates
reorgs on demand to further reduce testing delays.

If we can only have two, I'd suggest dropping 0.  I think it's already
the case that too few people test their software with reorgs.

-Dave