[bitcoin-dev] Reorgs on SigNet - Looking for feedback on approach and parameters

Matt Corallo lf-lists at mattcorallo.com
Mon Sep 13 16:24:29 UTC 2021

> On Sep 13, 2021, at 05:30, Michael Folkson <michaelfolkson at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Can you explain the motivation for this? From where I sit, as far as I know, I should basically be > a prime example of the target market for public signet - someone developing bitcoin applications > with regular requirements to test those applications with other developers without
>> jumping through hoops to configure software the same across the globe and set up miners.
>> With blocks > being slow and irregular, I’m basically not benefited at all by signet and will
>> stick with testnet3/mainnet testing, which both suck.
>
> On testnet3 you can realistically go days without blocks being found
> (and conversely thousands of blocks can be found in a day), the block
> discovery time variance is huge. Of course this is probabilistically
> possible on mainnet too but the probability of this happening is close
> to zero. Here[0] is an example of 16,000 blocks being found in a day
> on testnet3.

Blocks too fast isn’t generally an issue when waiting for blocks to test, and hooking up a miner is probably less work on testnet3 than creating a multi-party private signet with miners. In any case, you didn’t address the substance of the point - we can do better to make it a good platform for testing…. Why aren’t we?