[bitcoin-dev] BIP process meeting - Tuesday September 14th 23:00 UTC on #bitcoin-dev Libera IRC

Prayank prayank at tutanota.de
Tue Sep 14 14:50:16 UTC 2021

> A mailing list post is static and a BIP will go normally go through multiple edits and revisions so you do need to take advantage of the Git version control system. It gets quite unwieldy to attempt to do that via a mailing list with every minor suggested edit getting sent to all subscribers.

Mailing list post will help in reading discussions related to proposal.

>Also allowing the entire global population
(billions of people) to be able to create a directory doesn't sound
like a good idea to me :)

There is nothing to allow/disallow. That's the whole point. People are free to save links and organize things which can be called a BIP directory.

> I can only speak for myself here but I am not particularly concerned about this perception of authority.

This perception affects Bitcoin.

> In the same way as there are limits on the ability of Core maintainers to unilaterally merge in contentious code changes there are similar limits on the ability of BIP editors. Ultimately anyone merging a PR has to consider process/consensus and concerns can (and have been in the past) be raised on this mailing list or elsewhere.

Bitcoin Core is an implementation (used by most of the nodes right now). BIPs are proposals for Bitcoin. Using same organization on GitHub and such comparisons can be misleading for many. I don't think we need ACKs/NACKs in BIPs repository and I feel weird to be a part of discussions, ACKing this pull request: https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/pull/1104. Not sure any Bitcoin project needs a pull request merged in this repository to implement a proposal.

> I'm not sure where you are suggesting a bot should be.

A bot similar to DrahtBot in Bitcoin Core repository.
Few other developers had suggested similar thing earlier:

https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2021-April/018859.html

https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2021-April/018868.html

https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2021-April/018869.html

https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2021-April/018871.html