[bitcoin-dev] Reminder on the Purpose of BIPs

Prayank prayank at tutanota.de
Wed Sep 15 09:50:34 UTC 2021

> I like the idea of decentralizing the BIPs process. It is a historical artifact that the bips repository is part of the same organization that bitcoin core is part of. But there shouldn't be the perception that standardization is driven by that, or that there is any kind of (non-trivial) gatekeeping.

I had suggested few changes in BIP process and repository yesterday. Meeting was disappointing because of few reasons:

1.Its been 12 years since Bitcoin came in to existence and I am surprised that during such important conversations I still see only 4 people out of which 2 are maintainers.

2.None of the people who participated in meeting agree that we need to create multiple BIP directories and let people decide what works best for them. Reduce dependency on one repository or few people. At the end of the day these are just proposals, implementations are more important and there are so many ways to document things online, archive etc.

Playing ACK/NACK game in 'bitcoin/bips' repository will be a waste of time so I created this as an example:

https://github.com/prayank23/bips/blob/master/README.md

https://prayank23.github.io/bips/

I respect everyone involved in Bitcoin development however neither I trust anyone nor I expect anyone to trust me. Bitcoin is not just another open source software. Its a protocol for decentralized network which can be used to settle payments. We are trying to redefine MONEY, many cypherpunks, activists, hacktivists, privacy advocates etc. are involved and trying to separate money from state. The same money that is needed for almost everything you do in this world from birth to death, love to war and same money that makes some people more powerful. So, I won't be surprised with anything in future and will be prepared for everything.

--
Prayank

A3B1 E430 2298 178F