[bitcoin-dev] [Lightning-dev] Storing the Merkle Tree in a compact way

shymaa arafat shymaa.arafat at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 15:05:24 UTC 2021

It could be viewed as the simple complete tree to 1D array  with no
pointers described in lecture 8 here
https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-006-introduction-to-algorithms-spring-2020/lecture-notes/index.htm
starting from min 15 in this video
https://youtu.be/Xnpo1atN-Iw

Since all trees in Utreexo forest are full binary trees, this is perfect to
use, and we can save *76*10⁶*2*size of pointer(probably4bytes)*
*~600MB *with almost no effort.

However, I suggest to put it in a 2D array to make it more easy to handle
(the indexing math) as we, different than the lecture, traverse in many
ways ( normally to delete or insert, and the parent siblings for the proofs)

I wrote more details here
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5360009.0