[bitcoin-dev] TAPLEAF_UPDATE_VERIFY covenant opcode

Antoine Riard antoine.riard at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 14:11:10 UTC 2021

> I think "<I> <P> MERKLESUB" is the same as "<P> OP_0 2 TLUV", provided
> <I> happens to be the same index as the current input. So it misses the
> ability to add branches (replacing OP_0 with a hash), the ability to
> preserve the current script (replacing 2 with 0), and the ability to
> remove some of the parent paths (replacing 2 with 4*n); but gains the
> ability to refer to non-corresponding outputs.

Yes, I agree.

> That... doesn't sound very straightforward to me; it's basically
> introducing a new covenant approach, that's getting fixed into a
> signature, rather than being a separate opcode.

I think one design advantage of combining scope-minimal opcodes like
MERKLESUB with sighash malleability is the ability to update a subset of
the off-chain contract transactions fields after the funding phase. With a
lower level of cooperation than required by the key path. I think not an
ability offered by templated covenants.

> I'm not really sure what you're saying there; is that any different to a
> pool of (A and B) where A suddenly wants to withdraw funds ASAP and can't
> wait for a key path signature? In that case A authorises the withdrawal
> and does whatever she wants with the funds (including form a new pool),
> and B remains in the pool.

Yes this is a different contract policy that I would like to set up.

Let's say you would like to express the following set of capabilities.

C0="Split the 4 BTC funds between Alice/Bob and Caroll/Dave"
C1="Alice can withdraw 1 BTC after 2 weeks"
C2="Bob can withdraw 1 BTC after 2 weeks"
C3="Caroll can withdraw 1 BTC after 2 weeks"
C4="Dave can withdraw 1 BTC after 2 weeks"
C5="If USDT price=X, Alice can withdraw 2 BTC or Caroll can withdraw 2 BTC"

If C4 is exercised, to avoid trust in the remaining counterparty, both
Alice or Caroll should be able to conserve the C5 option, without relying
on the updated key path.

As you're saying, as we know the group in advance, one way to setup the tree
could be:

       (A, (((((B, C), BC), D), BCD), ((((E, F), EF), G), EFG)))

where:
A="1 <alice> <caroll> 2 CHECKMULTISIG <usdt_oracle> CHECKSIG"
B="<alice> DUP 0 2 TLUV CHECKSIG"
C="<bob> DUP 0 2 TLUV CHECKSIG"
D="<alice+bob> 0 6 TLUV 1 <caroll> <dave> 2 CHECKMULTISIG"
E="<caroll> DUP 0 2 TLUV CHECKSIG"
F="<dave> DUP 0 2 TLUV CHECKSIG"
G="<caroll+dave> 0 6 TLUV 1 <alice> <bob> 2 CHECKMULTISIG"

E.g, if D is exercised, B+C+D are removed from the tree and A, E, F, G are
conserved in the Caroll/Dave fork. Then Caroll can exercise the USDT option
without trusting Dave.

Note, this solution isn't really satisfying as the G path isn't neutralized
on the Caroll/Dave fork and could be replayed by Alice or Bob... One
improvement could be to have the "withdraw" script path (C,D,F,G) expressed
redundantly. That way when a "split" script path is exercised the uncle
split path and all the siblings "withdraw" paths can be removed.

Echoing your point about the difficulty of reliably composing arbitrary
subsets of the pool, I lean to agree that merkle trees aren't the most
straightforward way to encode that kind of contract policy.

> If you're worried about the cost of a single byte of witness data you
> probably can't afford to do script path spends at all -- certainly
> having to do 64 bytes of witness data to add a signature that commits
> to an amount and the like will be infeasible in that case.

Yes, I agree fully templated covenants are more efficient to save witness
data.

I still like the idea of inserting a key as you might have an interesting
ability.
Like a N-of-M, a subset of the vault/pool able to update the withdraw
pubkey.

> That doesn't work. Suppose you start off with an even internal pubkey,
> with three scripts, (A, (B,C)). All of those scripts have tapscript
> version 0xc0 because the internal pubkey is even. You spend using A and
> calculate the new internal pubkey which turns out to be odd. You then
> need to change B and C's script version from 0xc0 to 0x20, but you can't
> do that (at least, you can't do it without revealing every script).

I'm not sure we're aligned on the mechanism.

We introduce a new tapscript version 0x20.

At spent taproot commitment verification, if the tapscript version=0x20,
the second-lowest bit of the first byte of the control block is interpreted
as the parity bit of the spent internal pubkey (i.e control[0] & 0x2).

This parity bit is used to compute a new format of TapTweakV2=H(p || m ||
bit) and commitment verification keep proceeding unmodified.

As the leaf version is committed as part of every TapLeaf, I think any
usage of MERKLESUB would require to use tapscript version 0x20 for the
whole set of leaves.

If you build a tree blurring 0xc0 leaves and TapTweakV2, I think those
leaves will be unspendable as they will always fail the commitment
verification.

> Changing the TapTweak calculation is a hard fork; existing software
> already verifies the calculation even if the script version is unknown.

Thinking more, you're right...

In case of TapTweakV2, non-upgraded nodes won't be able to pass the
validation of unknown script version (0x20), and the failure will provoke a
fork.

Could we commit the spent internal pubkey parity bit as a one-more-tweak
transparent to non-upgrades nodes ?

For upgraded, P = R + (t2 * G) and Q = P + (t1 * G)
For non-upgraded, Q = P + (t1 * G).

Could we add a new validation rule (e.g VerifyInternalPubkeyCommitment)
conditional on a newer tapscript version just before
VerifyTaprootCommitment ?

> That is, the strategy isn't "tweak the scripts by delaying them 3 months"
> it's "tweak the merkle tree, to replace the scripts that would be delayed
> with a new script that has a delay and then allows itself to be replaced
> by the original scripts that we now want back".

Yes, that's a good strategy to have logically equivalent subtree embedded
in the modifying tapscript.

If you have multiple modifying scripts and you can't predict the order, I
think the tree complexity will be quickly too high and grafroot-like
approaches are likely better