[bitcoin-dev] Proposal: Package Mempool Accept and Package RBF

Bastien TEINTURIER bastien at acinq.fr
Mon Sep 20 09:19:38 UTC 2021

Hi Gloria,

Thanks for this detailed post!

The illustrations you provided are very useful for this kind of graph
topology problems.

The rules you lay out for package RBF look good to me at first glance
as there are some subtle improvements compared to BIP 125.

> 1. A package cannot exceed `MAX_PACKAGE_COUNT=25` count and
> `MAX_PACKAGE_SIZE=101KvB` total size [8]

I have a question regarding this rule, as your example 2C could be
concerning for LN (unless I didn't understand it correctly).

This also touches on the package RBF rule 5 ("The package cannot
replace more than 100 mempool transactions.")

In your example we have a parent transaction A already in the mempool
and an unrelated child B. We submit a package C + D where C spends
another of A's inputs. You're highlighting that this package may be
rejected because of the unrelated transaction(s) B.

The way I see this, an attacker can abuse this rule to ensure
transaction A stays pinned in the mempool without confirming by
broadcasting a set of child transactions that reach these limits
and pay low fees (where A would be a commit tx in LN).

We had to create the CPFP carve-out rule explicitly to work around
this limitation, and I think it would be necessary for package RBF
as well, because in such cases we do want to be able to submit a
package A + C where C pays high fees to speed up A's confirmation,
regardless of unrelated unconfirmed children of A...

We could submit only C to benefit from the existing CPFP carve-out
rule, but that wouldn't work if our local mempool doesn't have A yet,
but other remote mempools do.

Is my concern justified? Is this something that we should dig into a
bit deeper?

Thanks,
Bastien