[bitcoin-dev] Proposal: Package Mempool Accept and Package RBF

Bastien TEINTURIER bastien at acinq.fr
Tue Sep 21 15:18:28 UTC 2021

Hi Gloria,

> I believe this attack is mitigated as long as we attempt to submit
transactions individually

Unfortunately not, as there exists a pinning scenario in LN where a
different commit tx is pinned, but you actually can't know which one.

Since I really like your diagrams, I made one as well to illustrate:
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/31281497/134198114-5e9c6857-e8fc-405a-be57-18181d5e54cb.jpg

Here the issue is that a revoked commitment tx A' is pinned in other
mempools, with a long chain of descendants (or descendants that reach
the maximum replaceable size).

We would really like A + C to be able to replace this pinned A'.
We can't submit individually because A on its own won't replace A'...

> I would note that this proposal doesn't accommodate something like
diagram B, where C is getting CPFP carve out and wants to bring a +1

No worries, that case shouldn't be a concern.
I believe any L2 protocol can always ensure it confirms such tx trees
"one depth after the other" without impacting funds safety, so it
only needs to ensure A + C can get into mempools.

Thanks,
Bastien

Le mar. 21 sept. 2021 à 13:18, Gloria Zhao <gloriajzhao at gmail.com> a écrit :

> [...]
>>> transactions, parents must appear somewhere before children. [8]
>>>
>>> 3. A package cannot have conflicting transactions, i.e. none of them can
>>> spend
>>> the same inputs. This also means there cannot be duplicate transactions.
>>> [8]
>>>
>>> 4. When packages are evaluated against ancestor/descendant limits in a
>>> test
>>> accept, the union of all of their descendants and ancestors is
>>> considered. This
>>> is essentially a "worst case" heuristic where every transaction in the
>>> package
>>> is treated as each other's ancestor and descendant. [8]
>>> Packages for which ancestor/descendant limits are accurately captured by
>>> this
>>> heuristic: [19]
>>>
>>> There are also limitations such as the fact that CPFP carve out is not
>>> applied
>>> to package transactions. #20833 also disables RBF in package validation;
>>> this
>>> proposal overrides that to allow packages to use RBF.
>>>
>>> ## Proposed Changes
>>>
>>> The next step in the Package Mempool Accept project is to implement
>>> submission
>>> to mempool, initially through RPC only. This allows us to test the
>>> submission
>>> logic before exposing it on P2P.
>>>
>>> ### Summary
>>>
>>> - Packages may contain already-in-mempool transactions.
>>> - Packages are 2 generations, Multi-Parent-1-Child.
>>> - Fee-related checks use the package feerate. This means that wallets can
>>> create a package that utilizes CPFP.
>>> - Parents are allowed to RBF mempool transactions with a set of rules
>>> similar
>>>   to BIP125. This enables a combination of CPFP and RBF, where a
>>> transaction's descendant fees pay for replacing mempool conflicts.
>>>
>>> There is a draft implementation in [#22290][1]. It is WIP, but feedback
>>> is
>>> always welcome.
>>>
>>> ### Details
>>>
>>> #### Packages May Contain Already-in-Mempool Transactions
>>>
>>> A package may contain transactions that are already in the mempool. We
>>> remove
>>> ("deduplicate") those transactions from the package for the purposes of
>>> package
>>> mempool acceptance. If a package is empty after deduplication, we do
>>> nothing.
>>>
>>> *Rationale*: Mempools vary across the network. It's possible for a
>>> parent to be
>>> accepted to the mempool of a peer on its own due to differences in
>>> policy and
>>> fee market fluctuations. We should not reject or penalize the entire
>>> package for
>>> an individual transaction as that could be a censorship vector.
>>>
>>> #### Packages Are Multi-Parent-1-Child
>>>
>>> Only packages of a specific topology are permitted. Namely, a package is
>>> 1 child with all of its unconfirmed parents. After deduplication, the
>>> package
>>> may be exactly the same, empty, 1 child, 1 child with just some of its
>>> unconfirmed parents, etc. Note that it's possible for the parents to be
>>> indirect
>>> descendants/ancestors of one another, or for parent and child to share a
>>> parent,
>>> so we cannot make any other topology assumptions.
>>>
>>> *Rationale*: This allows for fee-bumping by CPFP. Allowing multiple
>>> parents
>>> makes it possible to fee-bump a batch of transactions. Restricting
>>> packages to a
>>> defined topology is also easier to reason about and simplifies the
>>> validation
>>> logic greatly. Multi-parent-1-child allows us to think of the package as
>>> one big
>>> transaction, where:
>>>
>>> - Inputs = all the inputs of parents + inputs of the child that come from
>>>   confirmed UTXOs
>>> - Outputs = all the outputs of the child + all outputs of the parents
>>> that
>>>   aren't spent by other transactions in the package
>>>
>>> Examples of packages that follow this rule (variations of example A show
>>> some
>>> possibilities after deduplication): ![image][15]
>>>
>>> #### Fee-Related Checks Use Package Feerate
>>>
>>> Package Feerate = the total modified fees divided by the total virtual
>>> size of
>>> all transactions in the package.
>>>
>>> To meet the two feerate requirements of a mempool, i.e., the
>>> pre-configured
>>> minimum relay feerate (`minRelayTxFee`) and dynamic mempool minimum
>>> feerate, the
>>> total package feerate is used instead of the individual feerate. The
>>> individual
>>> transactions are allowed to be below feerate requirements if the package
>>> meets
>>> the feerate requirements. For example, the parent(s) in the package can
>>> have 0
>>> fees but be paid for by the child.
>>>
>>> *Rationale*: This can be thought of as "CPFP within a package," solving
>>> the
>>> issue of a parent not meeting minimum fees on its own. This allows L2
>>> applications to adjust their fees at broadcast time instead of
>>> overshooting or
>>> risking getting stuck/pinned.
>>>
>>> We use the package feerate of the package *after deduplication*.
>>>
>>> *Rationale*:  It would be incorrect to use the fees of transactions that
>>> are
>>> already in the mempool, as we do not want a transaction's fees to be
>>> double-counted for both its individual RBF and package RBF.
>>>
>>> Examples F and G [14] show the same package, but P1 is submitted
>>> individually before
>>> the package in example G. In example F, we can see that the 300vB
>>> package pays
>>> an additional 200sat in fees, which is not enough to pay for its own
> [...]
>>> (BIP125#4). In example G, we can see that P1 pays enough to replace M1,
>>> but
>>> using P1's fees again during package submission would make it look like
>>> a 300sat
>>> increase for a 200vB package. Even including its fees and size would not
>>> be
>>> sufficient in this example, since the 300sat looks like enough for the
>>> 300vB
>>> package. The calculcation after deduplication is 100sat increase for a
> [...]
>>>
>>> The package must increase the absolute fee of the mempool, i.e. the
>>> total fees
>>> of the package must be higher than the absolute fees of the mempool
>>> transactions
>>> it replaces. Combined with the CPFP rule above, this differs from BIP125
>>> Rule #3
>>> - an individual transaction in the package may have lower fees than the
>>>   transaction(s) it is replacing. In fact, it may have 0 fees, and the
>>> child
>>> pays for RBF.
>>>
>>> ##### Feerate (Rule #4)
>>>
>>> The package must pay for its own bandwidth; the package feerate must be
>>> higher
>>> than the replaced transactions by at least minimum relay feerate
>>> (`incrementalRelayFee`). Combined with the CPFP rule above, this differs
>>> from
>>> BIP125 Rule #4 - an individual transaction in the package can have a
>>> lower
>>> feerate than the transaction(s) it is replacing. In fact, it may have 0
>>> fees,
>>> and the child pays for RBF.
>>>
>>> ##### Total Number of Replaced Transactions (Rule #5)
>>>
>>> The package cannot replace more than 100 mempool transactions. This is
>>> identical
>>> to BIP125 Rule #5.
>>>
>>> ### Expected FAQs
>>>
>>> 1. Is it possible for only some of the package to make it into the
>>> mempool?
>>>
>>>    Yes, it is. However, since we evict transactions from the mempool by
>>> descendant score and the package child is supposed to be sponsoring the
>>> fees of
>>> its parents, the most common scenario would be all-or-nothing. This is
>>> incentive-compatible. In fact, to be conservative, package validation
>>> should
>>> begin by trying to submit all of the transactions individually, and only
>>> use the
>>> package mempool acceptance logic if the parents fail due to low feerate.
>>>
>>> 2. Should we allow packages to contain already-confirmed transactions?
>>>
>>>     No, for practical reasons. In mempool validation, we actually aren't
>>> able to
>>> tell with 100% confidence if we are looking at a transaction that has
>>> already
>>> confirmed, because we look up inputs using a UTXO set. If we have
>>> historical
>>> block data, it's possible to look for it, but this is inefficient, not
>>> always
>>> possible for pruning nodes, and unnecessary because we're not going to do
>>> anything with the transaction anyway. As such, we already have the
>>> expectation
>>> that transaction relay is somewhat "stateful" i.e. nobody should be
>>> relaying
>>> transactions that have already been confirmed. Similarly, we shouldn't be
>>> relaying packages that contain already-confirmed transactions.

>>> https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/1f0b563738199ca60d32b4ba779797fc97d040fe/bip-0141.mediawiki#transaction-size-calculations
>>> [3]:
>>> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/94f83534e4b771944af7d9ed0f40746f392eb75e/src/policy/policy.cpp#L282
>>> [4]: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16400