[bitcoin-dev] TAPLEAF_UPDATE_VERIFY covenant opcode

Antoine Riard antoine.riard at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 01:40:16 UTC 2021

> Hmm, I'm reading C5 as "If an oracle says X, and Alice and Carol agree,
> they can distribute all the remaining funds as they see fit".

Should be read as an OR:

        IF 2 <oracle_sig> <alice_sig> 2 CHECKMULTISIG
        ELSE 2 <oracle_sig> <bob_sig> 2 CHECKMULTISIG
        ENDIF
        <> 2 IN_OUT_AMOUNT

The empty vector is a wildcard on the spent amount, as this tapscript may
be executed before/
after the split or any withdraw option.

> (Relative timelocks would probably be annoying for everyone who wasn't
> the first to exit the pool)

And I think unsafe, if you're wrapping a time-sensitive output in your
withdraw scriptPubkey.

> I think the above fixes that -- when AB is spent it deletes itself and
> the (A,B) pair; when A is spent, it deletes (A, B and AB) and replaces
> them with B'; when B' is spent it just deletes itself.

Right, here the subtlety in reading the scripts is about the B'
substitution tapscript in the
A one. And it sounds correct to me that AB exercise deletes the withdraw
pair (A, B).