[bitcoin-dev] Proposal: Package Mempool Accept and Package RBF

Bastien TEINTURIER bastien at acinq.fr
Mon Sep 27 07:15:18 UTC 2021

> I think we could restrain package acceptance to only confirmed inputs for
> now and revisit later this point ? For LN-anchor, you can assume that the
> fee-bumping UTXO feeding the CPFP is already
> confirmed. Or are there currently-deployed use-cases which would benefit
> from your proposed Rule #2 ?

I think constraining package acceptance to only confirmed inputs
is very limiting and quite dangerous for L2 protocols.

In the case of LN, an attacker can game this and heavily restrict
your RBF attempts if you're only allowed to use confirmed inputs
and have many channels (and a limited number of confirmed inputs).
Otherwise you'll need node operators to pre-emptively split their
utxos into many small utxos just for fee bumping, which is inefficient...

Bastien