[bitcoin-dev] Taro: A Taproot Asset Representation Overlay

Ruben Somsen rsomsen at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 13:14:40 UTC 2022

Hi Laolu,

> ignoring the rules leads to assets being burnt, but in most cases imo
that's a sufficient enough incentive to maintain and validate the relevant
set of witnesses

I agree it is sufficient, but only because using Bitcoin script without an
additional scripting language inside of Taro is already sufficient. Perhaps
you could show me a concrete example where you think replicating Bitcoin's
scripting capabilities inside Taro can be useful, so I can show you where I
think it fails.

> came up with a "issuance covenant" design sketch that may or may not be
useful

To summarize my view from my first post, I basically think there are two
broad exceptions to the "can't do scripting" rule:

1. Self-encumbrance: you have to use the token according to the rules, else
the token becomes burned/invalid. The example you're giving here can be
said to fall under this category. The usefulness of this is
extremely narrow, and merely replicating Bitcoin's script inside of Taro is
certainly not sufficient to achieve it.

2. On-chain validation: instead of keeping the satisfaction of the script
off-chain, you publish it on-chain in the Bitcoin blockchain. This works,
but breaks a fundamental design goal of Taro/RGB (remaining off-chain), and
adds significant complexity.

These two points lead me to my conclusion that off-chain validation
protocols (to rule out the exception in point 2) can't do any meaningful
(to rule out the exception in point 1) scripting.

This doesn't mean you can't still add some scripting to facilitate certain
use cases that fall under the two exceptions, but a regular scripting
language for on-chain payments such as Bitcoin's is not going to cut it (at
least not without significant changes).

Personally I'd be inclined to leave out the scripting language altogether
(as the encumbrance of Bitcoin UTXOs is sufficient in most cases), unless
you have a very specific and compelling use case in mind that justify the
complexity.

Cheers,
Ruben