[bitcoin-dev] Towards a means of measuring user support for Soft Forks

Billy Tetrud billy.tetrud at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 03:04:04 UTC 2022

>   A transaction signaling in the affirmative MUST NOT be included in a
block that does not signal in the affirmative

I feel like I've heard this idea somewhere before. Its an interesting idea.

It should be noted that there is a consequence of this: holders wouldn't
have much say. People that transact a lot (or happen to be transacting a
lot during the signaling time period) would have a very disproportionate
ability to pressure miners than people who aren't transacting much. This
would probably be a pretty good proxy for future mining revenue that
supports (or is against) a particular thing. However, the network does do
more than just transact, so I would be a bit worried that such a mechanism
would bias the system towards things that are good for transactors and bad
for holders. Things like more coin inflation, larger blocks, etc.

Another consideration is that miners are already incentivized to follow the
money here. Adding an *additional* incentive might be distorting the
market, so to speak.

An alternative I proposed was a way to do weighted polling of holders:
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2022-March/020146.html

The polling wouldn't be directly connected to the activation mechanism in
any way, but would just be a mechanism to gauge some portion of consensus.
If enough people were involved, theoretically it could be hooked up to
activation, but I would be pretty wary of doing that directly as well.

> we should not let the wealthy make consensus decisions.

We shouldn't let the wealthy continue to control our governments. However,
bitcoin is not a government. Its a financial network. The fact of the
matter is that fundamentally, the economic majority controls where the
chain goes. Its very likely that the wealthy are disproportionately
represented in the economic majority. Attempting to subvert the economic
majority seems like a bad idea. The reality of control there will come out
one way or another, and being honest about it is probably the best way to
avoid major schisms in the future.

> Does a scheme like this afford us a better view into consensus than we
have today?

It does more than provide a view. It directly changes the game theory
around how activation works. If we wanted to simply get a better view into
consensus, we could allow the same thing, but allow any block to mine any
transaction regardless of transaction signaling. Then it would be more
purely informational.

> Can it be gamed to give us a *worse* view into consensus? How?
> Does it measure the right thing? If not, what do you think is the right
thing to measure?

Doesn't seem like it could be gamed, but as I mentioned above, the honest
mechanics of it might be themselves undesirably distorting.

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 3:49 PM Bryan Bishop via bitcoin-dev <