[bitcoin-dev] Towards a means of measuring user support for Soft Forks

Erik Aronesty erik at q32.com
Wed Apr 27 14:28:31 UTC 2022

There are many challenges with on-chain voting, here are a few:

- We may not want votes on-chain, because it creates miner incentives for
contentious BIP's to drive up fees
- Miners can block votes from the chain
- Cold storage votes are probably the most important for certain proposals
(like vaulting), but are the least-likely to vote
- Awareness and participation in blockchain voting is typically very low
and is mostly limited to big exchanges

And off chain voting is even worse:

- We can collect votes off-chain by signing messages and publishing them
"somewhere", but where would that be?
- How do you make this censorship-resistant?
- Suppose someone's coins are protected by a hot/cold covenant, like TLUV
or CTV: parse scripts?  Ick.

Although I do wish sometimes that this were not the case, I feel like the
verbal wrangling and rough/messy-consensus building remains our best choice.

On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 10:07 AM Chris Riley via bitcoin-dev <