[bitcoin-dev] A suggestion to periodically destroy (or remove to secondary storage for Archiving reasons) dust, Non-standard UTXOs, and also detected burn

shymaa arafat shymaa.arafat at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 12:41:33 UTC 2022

Dear Bitcoin Developers,

-I think you may remember me sending to you about my proposal to partition
( and other stuff all about) the UTXO set Merkle in bridge servers
providing proofs Stateless nodes.
-While those previous suggestions might not have been on the most interest
of core Developers, I think this one I happened to notice is:

-When I contacted bitInfoCharts to divide the first interval of addresses,
they kindly did divided to 3 intervals. From here:
https://bitinfocharts.com/top-100-richest-bitcoin-addresses.html
-You can see that there are *more than* *3.1m addresses* holding ≤ 0.000001
BTC (1000 Sat) with total value of *14.9BTC*; an average of *473 Sat* per
address.
-Keeping in mind that an address can hold more than 1 UTXO; ie, this is
even a lowerbound on the number of UTXOs holding such small values.
-Noticing also that every lightning network transaction adds one dust UTXO
(actually two one of which is instantly spent, and their dust limit is 333
Sat not even 546), ie, *this number of dust UTXOs will probably increase
with time.*
.
-Therefore, a simple solution would be to follow the difficulty adjustment
idea and just *delete all those*, or at least remove them to secondary
storage for Archiving with extra cost to get them back, *along with
non-standard UTXOs and Burned ones* (at least for publicly known,
published, burn addresses). *Benefits are:*

1- you will *relieve* the system state from the burden *of about 3.8m
UTXOs *
(*3.148952m*
+ *0.45m* non-standard
+ *0.178m* burned
https://blockchair.com/bitcoin/address/1111111111111111111114oLvT2
https://blockchair.com/bitcoin/address/1CounterpartyXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXUWLpVr
as of today 6Feb2022)
, a number that will probably increase with time.
2-You will add to the *scarcity* of Bitcoin even with a very small amount
like 14.9 BTC.
3-You will *remove* away *the risk of using* any of these kinds for
*attacks* as happened before.
.
-Finally, the parameters could be studied for optimal values; I mean the
1st delete, the periodical interval, and also the delete threshold (maybe
all holding less than 1$ not just 546 Sat need to be deleted)
.
That's all
Thank you very much
.