[bitcoin-dev] Bitcoin Legal Defense Fund

Prayank prayank at tutanota.de
Thu Jan 13 10:13:11 UTC 2022

Hi Jack,

> The main purpose of this Fund is to defend developers from lawsuits regarding their activities in the Bitcoin ecosystem, including finding and retaining defense counsel, developing litigation strategy, and paying legal bills. This is a free and voluntary option for developers to take advantage of if they so wish. The Fund will start with a corps of volunteer and part-time lawyers. The board of the Fund will be responsible for determining which lawsuits and defendants it will help defend.

Thanks for helping the developers in legal issues. Appreciate your efforts and I understand your intentions are to help Bitcoin in every possible way.

Positives that I see in this initiative:

1.Developers don't need to worry about rich scammers and can focus on development.

2.Financial help for developers as legal issues can end up in wasting lot of time and money.

3.People who have misused courts to affect bitcoin developers will get better response that they deserve.

I had few suggestions and feel free to ignore them if they do not make sense:

1.Name of this fund could be anything and 'The Bitcoin Legal Defense Fund' can be confusing or misleading for newbies. There is nothing official in Bitcoin however people believe things written in news articles and some of them might consider it as an official bitcoin legal fund.

2.It would be better if people involved in such important funds do not comment/influence soft fork related discussions. Example: Alex Morcos had some opinions about activation mechanism during Taproot soft fork IIRC.

--
Prayank

A3B1 E430 2298 178F