[bitcoin-dev] CTV BIP review

Jeremy jlrubin at mit.edu
Tue Jan 18 23:54:21 UTC 2022

Thanks for the detailed review.

I'll withhold comment around activation logic and leave that for others to
discuss.

w.r.t. the language cleanups I'll make a PR that (I hope) clears up the
small nits later today or tomorrow. Some of it's kind of annoying because
the legal definition of covenant is "A formal agreement or promise, usually
included in a contract or deed, to do or not do a particular act; a compact
or stipulation made in writing or by parol." so I do think things like
CLTV/CSV are covenants since it's a binding promise to not spend before a
certain time... it might be out of scope for the BIP to fully define these
terms because it doesn't really matter what a covenant could be as much as
it matters what CTV is specifically.

On the topic of drafting BIPs for specific use cases, I agree that would be
valuable and can consider it.

However, I'm a bit skeptical of that approach overall as I don't
necessarily think that the applications *must be* standard, and I view BIPs
as primarily for standardization whereas part of the flexibility of
CTV/Sapio allows users to figure out how they want to use it.

E.g., we do not yet have a BIP for MuSig or even Multisig in Taproot,
although there are some papers and example implementations but nothing
formal yet
https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/111666/support-for-taproot-multisig-descriptors).
Perhaps this is an opportunity for CTV to lead on the amount of formal
application designs available before 'release'.

As a starting point, maybe you could review some of the application focused
posts in rubin.io/advent21 and let me know where they seem deficient?

Also a BIP describing how to build something like Sapio (and less so Sapio
itself, since it's still early days for that) might help for folks to be
able to think through how to compile to CTV contracts? But again, I'm
skeptical of the value of a BIP v.s. the documentation and examples
available in the code and https://learn.sapio-lang.org.

I think it's an interesting discussion too because as we've just seen the
LN ecosystem start the BLIP standards, would an example of non-interactive
channels be best written up as a BIP, a BLIP, or a descriptive blog/mailing
list post?

--
@JeremyRubin <https://twitter.com/JeremyRubin>
<https://twitter.com/JeremyRubin>

On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 1:19 PM Luke Dashjr via bitcoin-dev <