[bitcoin-dev] [Opt-in full-RBF] Zero-conf apps in immediate danger

David A. Harding dave at dtrt.org
Fri Oct 7 17:21:29 UTC 2022

On 2022-10-07 06:20, Dario Sneidermanis via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I'm Dario, from Muun wallet [...] we've been reviewing the latest
> bitcoin core release
> candidate [...] we understood we had at least a year from the initial
> opt-in  deployment until opt-out was deployed, giving us enough time to
> adapt
> Muun to the new policies. However, when reviewing the 24.0 release
> candidate
> just a few  days ago, we realized that zero-conf apps (like Muun) must
> *immediately turn off* their zero-conf features.

Hi Dario,

I'm wondering if there's been some confusion.  There are two RBF-related
items in the current release notes draft:[1]

1. "A new mempoolfullrbf option has been added, which enables the
mempool to accept transaction replacement without enforcing BIP125
replaceability signaling. (#25353)"

2. "The -walletrbf startup option will now default to true. The wallet
will now default to opt-in RBF on transactions that it creates.
(#25610)"

The first item (from PR #25353) does allow a transaction without a
BIP125 signal to be replaced, but this configuration option is set to
disabled by default.[2]  There have been software forks of Bitcoin Core
since at least 2015 which have allowed replacement of non-signaling
transactions, so this option just makes that behavior a little bit more
accessible to users of Bitcoin Core.  Some developers have announced
their intention to propose enabling this option by default in a future
release, which I think is the behavior you're concerned about, but
that's not planned for the release of 24.0 to the best of my knowledge.

The second item (from PR #25610) only affects Bitcoin Core's wallet, and
in particular transactions created with it through the RPC interface.
Those transactions will now default to signaling BIP125 replacability.
This option has been default false for many years for the RPC, but for
the GUI it's been default true since Bitcoin Core 0.16, released in
early 2018[3].  It's no different than another popular wallet beginning
to signal BIP125 support by default.

In short, I don't think anything in Bitcoin Core 24.0 RC1 significantly
changes the current situation related to transaction replacability.  All
it does is give Bitcoin Core RPC users by default the same settings long
used for GUI users and introduce an option that those who object to
non-signalled RBF will later be able to use to disable their relay of
non-signalled replacements.

Does the above information resolve your concerns?

Thanks,

-Dave

[1]
https://github.com/bitcoin-core/bitcoin-devwiki/wiki/24.0-Release-Notes-draft

[2] $ bin/bitcoind -help | grep -A3 mempoolfullrbf
   -mempoolfullrbf
        Accept transaction replace-by-fee without requiring
replaceability
        signaling (default: 0)

[3]
https://bitcoincore.org/en/2018/02/26/release-0.16.0/#replace-by-fee-by-default-in-gui