[bitcoin-dev] New transaction policies (nVersion=3) for contracting protocols

Greg Sanders gsanders87 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 18:48:39 UTC 2022

Hello Gloria,

Great work on synthesizing so much feedback into a proposal like this!

Death to carve-out rule.

I'd like to elaborate on some caveats and give a few incomplete thoughts.

There are basically two types of pinning in my estimation today:

1) rule#3 pinning: Make it uneconomical to replace whatever is in mempool
via large in size but low feerate junk that won't get mined anytime soon.
Replacing this with feerate-based policy seems apt, but fraught with DoS
risks.

2) package limit pinning: disallowing transaction propagation by package
limits being hit: size, ancestor count, descendant count. Today it is
mitigated by having all outputs be 1 csv timelocked, and having up to 2
anchor outputs(1 without carve-out rule).

Would kind of be nice if package RBF would detect a "sibling output spend"
conflict, and knock it out of the mempool via the other replacement rules?
Getting rid of the requirement to 1 block csv lock every output would be
quite nice from a smart contracting composability point of view.

> "Does this fix Rule 3 Pinning?"

As you likely know from previous discussions the biggest scenario this does
not fix in my estimation is ANYONECANPAY situations. If the parent
transaction can be "inflated" by tacking on additional inputs, this means
the total weight of the parent tx lowers the effective feerate of the
package. Due to this pinning attack there aren't many(?) deployed schemes
that use the signature type.

To mitigate this we would likely have to opt into a more complex policy
scheme, committing in the annex to "total mempool package weight", which
would allow mempool package limits to be picked at signing time.

Maybe ANYONECANPAY isn't a very useful paradigm in general, I cannot speak
to that, but it came up in eltoo-related designs using BIP118, which adopts
ACP-like signing behavior. This can be mitigated via straight forward
policy updates as well for BIP118 deployment, but off topic so will leave
it there.

The other scenario it doesn't really fix is where HTLC/commitment-like
transactions are being resolved in a batch, but due to relative time
constraints, you may want to accelerate some and not others. Now you must
pay higher rates to replace all of the transaction bumps. This is a
"self-pin" and "get good at utxos noob" type problem, but it's something
that axing rule#3 in favor of a Replace-by-ancestor-feerate system would
get us.

> "Can a V2 transaction replace a V3 transaction and vice versa?"

Circling back to my ACP point, this regime still allows pinning anytime you
are sharing a transaction with someone else where you don't have control
over *all* the inputs. So anytime you are doing a coinjoin-like
transaction, someone else's inputs can be self-double-spent, requiring you
to satisfy rule#3 when replacing theirs, if they're bip125-signaling. If
they're not bip125 signaling, you'll have to somehow detect this and/or
double-spend your input back to yourself.

Finally, a couple suggestions I've already made elsewhere:

1) I do think that we should seriously consider allowing OP_TRUE to become
a standard script type as part of this policy update. If pinning is solved,
then there's no reason to require all those extra bytes for "binding" an
anchor to a specific wallet/user. We can save quite a few bytes by having
the input be empty of witness data.

2) If we allow for a single dust-value(0 on up) output which is immediately
spent by the package, anchors become even easier to to design. No value has
to be "sapped" from contract participants to make an anchor output. There's
more complications for this, such as making sure the parent transaction is
dropped if the child spend is dropped, but maybe it's worth the squeeze. I
do think that any L2 uptake of these new rules will take significant
time... maybe we should be a bit more ambitious?

Cheers,
Greg

On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 11:27 AM Gloria Zhao via bitcoin-dev <