[bitcoin-dev] TARO Protocol metadata BIP proposal

Adam Ivansky adam at tiramisuwallet.com
Fri Apr 21 09:46:53 UTC 2023

Hi all / happy Friday ,

I would like to propose a BIP for the metadata structure of assets traded
on TARO Protocol running on Bitcoin blockchain. A new bip-taro.mediawiki
file.

The BIP for TARO is here
https://github.com/Roasbeef/bips/blob/bip-taro/bip-taro.mediawiki . TARO
BIP does not explicitly talk about the format of metadata of the assets.
However this is something we will have to agree on if we are to start
trading NFTs, Stablecoins and different synthetic assets such as tokenized
stocks / options.

For the past few months I have been operating a wallet for TARO called
Tiramisu Wallet on testnet ( https://testnet.tarowallet.net/ ) and I was
able to put together a list of fields that the metadata should have . This
is a result of myself testing different use cases for the protocol as well
as external users coming in and minting different assets.

My observation is that users care a lot about the ticker, asset name,
description, image representing the asset, info on who minted the asset.

For this reason I would like to propose a BIP for TARO Protocol asset
metadata. I think this should be separate from the TARO BIP as the format
of asset metadata might evolve depending on the real-life use cases and
what assets end up being minted / traded on TARO.

I am proposing that the metadata is structured as a JSON stored as a string
and that it is formatted as follows:

{
    "ticker": // [optional] Fungible assets should have ticker
    "type": // Stablecoin | Image | Video | Data ... Type of the asset
    "description": // [mandatory] Short description of the asset explaining
how the asset works
    "data": // [optional] Base64 formatted image data. This is the image
representation of the asset / an icon representing the asset.
    "hash_data": // [optional] Hash of the data that asset represents
    "external_url": // [optional] External URL to the thing that the asset
represents
    "attributes": { // [optional] External URL to the thing that the asset
represents
        "collection_name":
    }
    "minter_info": { // [optional] Information about the entity that minted
the asset
        "name":
        "email":
        "phone":
        "telegram":
        "website":
    }
}

This was loosely inspired by the standard use by OpenSea
https://docs.opensea.io/docs/metadata-standards only in case of TARO we
have less of an incentive to make the metadata small as this data is not
written to blockchain directly.
This is why I think we should start including the actual image data into
the metadata.

Tiramisu wallet is on testnet right now and uses some of these JSON fields.

Please let me know how you feel about this.

PS: I am following the manual from here
https://github.com/Roasbeef/bips/tree/bip-taro that says my first step
should be sending an email to this mailing list .

Best regards,

Adam Ivansky

Founder of Tiramisu Wallet