[bitcoin-discuss] Bitcoin dev IRC meeting in layman's terms (2016-01-07)

G1lius . g1liusbitcoin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 18:01:31 UTC 2016


Once again my attempt to summarize and explain the weekly bitcoin developer
meeting in layman's terms.
Link to last summarisation:
http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-discuss/2015-December/000039.html

*Disclaimer*

Please bear in mind I'm not a developer so some things might be incorrect
or plain wrong.
There are no decisions being made in these meetings, but since a fair
amount of devs are present it's a good representation.
Copyright: Public domain


link to this week logs:
http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/2016/01/07#l1452193219.0
Meeting minutes by meetbot:
http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-dev/2016/bitcoin-dev.2016-01-07-19.00.html


Main topics discussed where:

0.12 Release candidate
Detailed roadmap for next projects

**Short topics/notes**

Gmaxwell has asked Luke-Jr to take over as BIP-editor. He'll be working on
clearing up the back-log. He mailed the mailinglist:
http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2016-January/012197.html
for information.

All platforms seem to compile bitcoin with C++11 now. Travis still needs a
C++11 compiler, which cfields will enable.

Segnet will do a backwards incompatible change soon, to change the
commitment structure.

**0.12 Release candidate**

- background

Bitcoin Core 0.12 is scheduled for release around February and introduces a
lot of fixes and improvements.


- meeting comments


It still needs some more info in the release notes.
PR's #7151 ( https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/7151 ) and #7149 (
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/7149 ) are mentioned to possibly
still be included in 0.12 as well as a quick fix for #7098 (
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/7098 ) (to be written).
Morcos feels strongly that releasing 0.12 as is, is pretty bad. Due to the
smartfee changes stuck transactions should be really rare, but if they
happen it's worse than 0.11, as the network more easily "forgets"
transactions.
PR #7312 ( https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/7312 ) "Add RPC call
abandontransaction" is proposed by Morcos to be a quick-fix to enable users
to make their wallet forget about the inputs to a transaction that's not in
the mempool. Better solutions should be build for 0.12.1



- meeting conclusion

Take a look at PR's #7151 ( https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/7151 ),
#7149 ( https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/7149 ) and #7312 (
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/7312 )
Cfields will work on a fix for #7098 (
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/7098 )



**Detailed roadmap for next projects**

- background

Morcos makes a request for some direction on what sort of timeline projects
are on, and what the order of implementation should roughly be. This so
there's a concentration of effort and focus.
A more clear plan could result in investing resources into the right parts.

- meeting comments

Jonasschnelli will work on RBF features for the wallet.
Cfields is planning to post a request for comments for a network stack
overhaul next week.
BIP 9 ( https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0009.mediawiki )
versionbits is moved back in priority a bit.
Libconsensus refactoring needs a scheduled time to do, as well as C++11.
Clang format might not be worth it, if so we need to communicate that it
won't happen.


- meeting conclusion

Everyone that is working on something that they plan to have finished for
0.13 should send wumpus his proposals, so he can merge it into a plan.


**Participants**

    Luke-Jr Luke Dashjr
    wumpus Wladimir J. van der Laan
    sipa Pieter Wuille
    morcos Alex Morcos
    jonasshnelli Jonas Schnelli
    cfields Cory Fields
    petertodd Peter Todd
    MarcoFalke Marco Falke
    sdaftuar Suhas Daftuar
    jgarzik Jeff Garzik
    btcdrak btcdrak
    CodeShark Eric Lombrozo
    droark Douglas Roark
    jtimon Jorge Timón


**Comic relief**

    19:40 sipa there is a moral obligation to have VB or something with
similar functionality available
(refering to versionbits)
    19:41 Luke-Jr "Pieter Wuille proposes a moral requirement to rewrite
Bitcoin in Visual Basic."
<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>
Dit
e-mailbericht is verzonden vanaf een virusvrije computer die wordt
beschermd door Avast.
www.avast.com
<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>
<#DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-discuss/attachments/20160111/96d6530f/attachment.html>


More information about the bitcoin-discuss mailing list