[Bitcoin-ml] What i would like to see in the next HF + timeline

Tom Zander tomz at freedommail.ch
Thu Aug 31 09:03:46 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 30 August 2017 10:31:35 CEST Tomas via bitcoin-ml wrote:
> This is just to clarify pruning is allowed.

More specifically, it means that we have to only check the UTXO.

> With the unique coinbase, transactions with the same hash cannot be
> found,

The problem steps from the habit that miners reuse their output
transaction-address. Which gives the same exact transaction for each
coinbase a miner mines. Which leads to the same txid.
This is why we now have the block-height in the comment field to make sure
that the transactions are slightly different every time.

>  and if they were, Bitcoin would be broken in horrible ways.

Not really, the txid usage to refer to the transaction we are spending is
not a security related design at all.
It just is very convenient for many reasons.
The security lies in the signatures which sign the transaction.
--
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io