[Bitcoin-ml] Mathematical Proof That the Lightning Network Cannot Be a Decentralized

Jameson Lopp jameson.lopp at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 17:10:21 UTC 2017

It's not necessary to nail down every future detail of a system that's
still being developed if you can make adjustments to it along the way.

Not sure why you'd claim LN is the only scaling solution because it
certainly isn't; perhaps you're just not satisfied with the other solutions
because they're trying to make more efficient use of block space rather
than increasing the block size?

I think it's a mischaracterization to say that users are being "pushed
into" soft forkable solutions. This is due to a fundamental conflict
between how the vast majority of software development works versus how
public consensus networks operate. Most software devs take the approach of
envisioning how they want the system to work, writing the code, and then
deploying it. In Bitcoin you have some groups of developers who also take
that approach, historically with poor results. Then you have other groups
of developers who consider the existing rules of the system to be
constraints within which they have to work in order to be able to deploy
changes; that methodology tends to be more successful.