[Bitcoin-ml] BFP - Bitcoin Cash Fork Process

George Macoukji macoukji at gamesnet.org
Thu Nov 2 18:58:00 UTC 2017

I got in a little late on the Reddit thread, so I'm not sure how many saw
my comment. I'll repost it here for feedback.

My one big thought here is that we should move away from single-vote
majority-wins systems, the so-called "first past the post" method. Instead,
we should look to some form of ranked voting that allows a miner to say, "I
prefer Alternative 1, but if that's not acceptable, then my second choice
is Alternative 2."

To that end, I'd propose changing the signaling to be a series of votes in
preferential order, not just a single vote. Votes would then be counted
using some form of instant-runoff vote counting (see
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting ) to determine the
highest-consensus choice.

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 4:39 AM Michael Jackson via bitcoin-ml <
bitcoin-ml at lists.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> I would like to propose a process/framework for a consensus finding
> process that can be applied to any software that requires a fork (soft or
> hard). The recent situation with the EDA proposals has shown that a process
> like this one will be valuable in a network with multiple development teams.
>
> The objectives of the process are as follows:
>
> - Unanimous developer consensus is no longer necessary.
> - Development teams are able to offer up different proposals and the
> miners can decide which proposal is best.
> - Miners are able to decide to make no change at all.
> - The network remains in 100% consensus at all times other than in
> situations of extreme ideological disagreement.
> - The process can be implemented immediately.
> - The process is loose enough that it can be applied to any upgrade that
> requires consensus.
> - Does not conflict with other improvement proposal processes, such as
> BUIP.
> - Provide confidence for network participants that community leaders (i.e.
> developers, miners, and businesses) will support a process that aims to use
> free market principles but still keep the network in 100% consensus at all
> times.
>
> The full details of this proposal can be found at
> https://github.com/singularity87/BFP/blob/Updates/README.md
>
> This is a work in progress but my main aim is to get broad support across
> the entire community that this is a valuable agreement to have, but that no
> one is beholden to it. The benefits of the agreement should be enough to
> encourage the Bitcoin Cash community to use it. So far almost everyone has
> responded positively to the proposal.
>
> I would very much appreciate your input, and if possible, support in
> principle for the proposal.
>
> Singularity.

"I got an "A" in philosophy because I proved my professor didn't exist."
            -- Judy Tenuta