[Bitcoin-ml] Proposal to deploy cashaddr January, 14

Lucas Clemente Vella lvella at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 02:26:21 UTC 2017

> I agree that is desirable to have a different address format, for the
> reason Amaury explained, but I noticed that the proposed is very similar to
> BIP173. First let me say that I am not convinced about base 32, but more on
> that later.

I forgot to mention, but I don't think anyone should ever drop the support
for old address format, at most warn the user, or ask for confirmation.
Business will have all the incentive to use the new format, so it won't
cause financial loss to the customers. Whoever needs to upgrade will do.
But the original Bitcoin address format is too valuable to many people,
maybe as a symbol or some kind of emotional attachment (we already saw on
this list). I know I would only use a wallet without support for the old
address if I had no choice.

--
Lucas Clemente Vella
lvella at gmail.com