[Bitcoin-ml] Proposal to deploy cashaddr January, 14

Jason Dreyzehner jason at dreyzehner.com
Sat Nov 18 17:13:25 UTC 2017

Is it possible that your use case is handled by the version byte? If you
want to encode more data in the payload, you can define a new version and
get implementors to adopt it.

If the data you want to encode doesn’t need wide ecosystem support, maybe
it’s a good candidate for the Payment Protocol (BIPS 70-73)?

eg. In a URI:
bitcoincash:qpzry9x8gf2tvdw0s3jn54khce6mua7lcw20ayyn?mycustomkey=mycustomvalue

In your case of out-of-band messaging – BitPay payment requests currently
include a short memo for wallets to automatically add when paying a
merchant. Many wallets save it as a memo in the user's transaction history.
(e.g. “Payment request for BitPay invoice #### for merchant Valve
Corporation”)

Jason