[Bitcoin-ml] Alternative difficulty algorithm for Bitcoin Cash

Tom Zander tomz at freedommail.ch
Mon Oct 2 08:27:13 UTC 2017

Hi Neil,

can you provide us with a rationale (why is this change needed) and a goals
(which variables are you optimizing for) section?

Why I ask is because of something I brought up before on this list was a
problem with deadalnix's proposal: It focused purely on optimizing difficulty.
This goal was ignoring the bigger picture of stability of mining earnings.

In short, it removes the certainty of a minimum amount of profit per energy
consumption a miner can expect for a 2 week period.
We need to balance those concerns out, something that the original algorithm
does very well.

Can you comment on how well your work balances those concerns?

Last, could you, or anyone else, provide an actual written specification of
the new algo? Will be useful for those that don’t read code.

Thanks for this!

--
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io