[Bitcoin-ml] bitcoin-ml Digest, Vol 5, Issue 23

Tom Zander tomz at freedommail.ch
Mon Oct 30 11:36:53 UTC 2017

On Monday, 30 October 2017 10:25:07 CET James Howells via bitcoin-ml wrote:
> So with that being said, do we have a backup plan in place should the new
> algorithm not work as intended?
>
> Without a backup plan it's a dangerous time to be playing with unknowns in
> my opinion.

What we know is this;

The EDA as pushed on us by deadalnix on Bitcoin Cash inception is broken and
disrupts the balance that the Satoshi algorithm had. Specifically it changes
from the Satoshi algorithm in that it gives miners an advantage if they
cheat. Hurting the entire system.
Details; {1}

What we also know is that we would open us to chain-death by going back to
the Satoshi algorithm itself.

A hard fork is expensive and the timing is tricky. I’m surprised that its
accepted so well, but mostly surpised in a happy way.
Thing is; if the exchanges and miners are Ok with one, it should not be a
big deal.

The facts of the matter is that almost any change is an improvement. I agree
simulation isn’t 100% safe. Frankly, nothing is 100% safe.
What we need is not a perfect solution, what we need is progress towards a
better solution.

If in 6 to 12 months we end up being the majority chain, we are able to
change again. And that is your fallback right there.
The ability to improve things that are not perfect.

1) https://www.yours.org/content/
e441804b863f4cf890087f9142665f311d0fde286dce75baaa2a68ce3b918570

--
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io