[Bitcoin-ml] Difficulty adjustment

Tom Zander tomz at freedommail.ch
Fri Sep 1 10:12:23 UTC 2017

Its hard to comment on a proposal without seeing the actual algorithm. The
output is interesting, but I’d like to see the actual code that generated
it.

As far as I can tell, the *only* goal of this project was to stabilize the
block time in case of severe changes in hashrate.

This ignores many other requirements, one of those is that miners need
stability as well. They need to know how much electricity will be needed to
get a certain amount of block rewards.
The original Satoshi one had this stable at 2 weeks, it looks like in your
idea (again, can’t say without the actual algorithm) can’t give more than an
hour or so.

I’ll wait for an actual proposal before having a real opinion, but I want to
point out that I would be against a proposal that throws out the stability
of everything but the block-times.
This opens us up to attackss, for instance ddossing your opposing mining
pool off the net will have an immediate and measuarable increase in profits
for you.

On top of that, the “death spiral” that people predicted for BTC has not
happened, maybe the original adjustment of 2016 blocks wasn’t so bad?

--
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io