[Bitcoin-ml] Transaction mining priorities.

Andrew Johnson andrew.johnson83 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 16:38:16 UTC 2017

And here's the problem with this proposal. How do you expect to convince
miners to do anything but what's in their best short term interest(which is
revenue maximization)?  This proposal clashes with the basic game theory
that bitcoin is based on, I think.

It sounds good in theory, and those are all noble and worthwhile goals, but
what's the incentive for miners to prioritize transactions in this way
instead of based on total revenue?

If bitcoin needs miner altruism to survive, we've already lost...  Bitcoin
has to work based on greedy participants doing whatever is most
advantageous for them, not a moral sense of wanting to make the network a
better place.  I don't think it's reasonable to expect miners to eschew
short term revenue in favor of long term network health.

Some miners may appreciate code that helps them change the way they
prioritize transactions at their leisure(you may get some miners to run
this alternate prioritization model occasionally when mempool fees are
lowish), but you're definitely not going to make a consensus rule out of
it, and you're probably not going to get a ton of participants, in my
opinion.

Which makes me wonder how effective of a use of your time this is going to
be in the first place. If this prioritization method is used for n% of
transactions, how much impact did it have?  Would probably need to try and
measure the effect at different adoption rates to see if the time spent is
worthwhile or not...

Andrew Johnson