[Bitcoin-ml] Upgrading CashAddr in order to improve user experience

Chris Priest cp368202 at ohiou.edu
Sat Feb 24 23:24:50 UTC 2018

Bech32 came from the core camp. If you posted a criticism of it to one of
their communities your post would get "moderated".

Also as little as BCH's adoption of Bech32 is, it's still more prevalent
here than it is in segwitland. Eventually core supporters would have
discovered these problems too once more of them started using it.

On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 2:26 PM, Shammah Chancellor via bitcoin-ml <
bitcoin-ml at lists.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2018, at 7:30 AM, Lucas Clemente Vella via bitcoin-ml <
> bitcoin-ml at lists.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>
> One user complained on Reddit that the new CashAddr that it is
> ambiguous, because lowcase 'L' looks like '1' and uppercase 'i'. I
> dare say there is the same problem with 'o' and '0'. It is a problem
> because most users won't bother to know what characters comprises the
> base32 encoding.
>
> My proposed solution is simple: treat 'i', 'L' and '1' as the same
> encoded value of 31 when parsing input, but always record and display
> as 'L' (use lowercase or uppercase as recommended).
>
> Same thing with 'o' and '0': treat both as the same character with
> encoded value of 15 when parsing, but always display 0.
>
> We can make the adjustment in CashAddr spec and bump the version to 1.1.
>
> --
> Lucas Clemente Vella
> lvella at gmail.com
>

> It's too bad that after over a year of bech32 and cashaddr specs being
> available (using the same charset) this issue wasn't raised more visibly.
>
> I think your suggestion is reasonable, why don't you make a PR to the
> specification?
>
> https://github.com/bitcoincashorg/spec

Chris Priest
786-531-5938