[Bitcoin-ml] BCH units convention

Matias Alejo Garcia matias at bitpay.com
Tue Jan 9 20:06:41 UTC 2018

While most people are familiar with `k` for 1,000 and `M` for 1e6,
from SI;  I am not sure
everyone will understand `u` for 1e-6.

I suggest we define Unit = 1e-6 BCH; and then amounts will be:

1.23 Unit
123.45 Unit
1,000 = 1 kUnit
1,000,000= 1 MUnit = 1 BCH
etc.

Unit could be `bits` or something else, unique to Bitcoin Cash TBD,
like:    1 `finney`; 1 `gavin` or 1 `amaury` :)

On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 4:05 PM, Amaury Séchet via bitcoin-ml
<bitcoin-ml at lists.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> I think this is the most sensible path forward.
>
> Plus milicash/microcash, or just milis/micros sounds preti good.
>
> Using SI for currency is already fairly common, at least in the EU, where
> large projects are often billed in k€ .

> <bitcoin-ml at lists.linuxfoundation.org>:
>>
>> SI units is the only one that makes sense to me.
>> mBCH  - prefix in lower case and base unit in caps.  It also works for
>> other cryptos and is more universal such as mBTC.
>>
>> Instead of mu for micro, lower case u is ordinarily used so uBCH
>>
>> If everyone uses different conventions then it's probably going to be as
>> confusing or more confusing than the current system.
>>
>> Why start a new naming convention when there is already an excellent one
>> available.  ie SI units.  As a counter example Satoshi, mile-Sats = 5280
>> foot-Sats...
>>
>> Consumers are used to the SI prefixes... think terrabyte drives, 64
>> gigabytes of ram etc..
>>
>> my two uBCH's

BitPay.com