[Bitcoin-segwit2x] Addressing Segwit's anyone-can-spend "issue" with the hard fork?

Oliver Petruzel opetruzel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 17:50:20 UTC 2017

ALCON,
I'm not privy to discussions occurring in Slack or elsewhere, so I think
this list may be the most appropriate medium for the following question:

Has any thought been given to addressing/fixing Segwit's anyone-can-spend
issue at the time of the SegWit2x hardfork?

I'm not entirely familiar with the exact mechanisms of the code that create
the conditions for this issue, but it's been said by many that the issue is
a byproduct of the softfork implementation, and that it could be resolved
if SegWit were implemented as a hardfork instead.

Is that true? Is it possible to rework the SegWit code such that the
anyone-can-spend issue is permanently resolved with the SegWit2x hardfork?

I think doing so would go a very long way in garnering additional support
throughout the dev and user communities, so it's worth considering.

Thoughts?

V/r,
Oliver Petruzel
Owner, Procryptic Inc.