[Bitcoin-segwit2x] SegWit2x Hard Fork Testing Update

Christophe Biocca christophe.biocca at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 17:57:22 UTC 2017

> Opt-in mechanisms are welcome.

Some ideas:

Option 1:
Proof of blocksize is doable.
https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0180.mediawiki has one
possible approach, although it might need to be adapted since it's a
one-directional oversized/overweight proof, whereas we need the other
direction.

Downside: it's much more involved (requires new p2p message)
Upside: fully consistent with how full nodes will choose which side to end
up on and with flag-day style activation.

Option 2:
Require a softfork bit (maybe bit 4 again?) at block X.

Downside: No guarantee the <=1MB branch won't do that on their block too
(either because of a new feature being deployed, or someone wants to make
the split messier).
Upside: Really easy to do, worst case outcome is exactly what we'd have
without it.

Option 3:
Checkpointing in the SPV clients.

Downside: can only happen after the fact.
Upside: No consensus-level changes required at all.