[Bitcoin-segwit2x] segwit2x rc Version 1.14.4 released

Peter Todd pete at petertodd.org
Tue Jul 18 14:55:13 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 07:04:08AM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 11:35 PM, Peter Todd <pete at petertodd.org> wrote:
> > You need to update your comment on pull-req #58 stating that "If SegWit is
> > purely Bit-1 then it won't trigger.", making it clear that you were mistaken
> > about how the btc1 software actually worked; this has caused some confusion
> > among journalists and the like.
>
> You are wrong on the facts.
>
> 1) The PR to which you refer is timestamped 13 days ago.  We can
> easily google and find clear explanations of "SegWit activation +
> 144*90 blocks" 30 days ago:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/6i16gl/psa_how_segwit2x_actually_works/dj2qdaz/

You're talking about a different activation method in that comment, and it
still doesn't explain what you meant by ""If SegWit is purely Bit-1 then it
won't trigger."

But anyway, let's take you at face value: that makes it clear that bit-4 is
*not* intended to be the segwit2x activation, just a way to activate segwit at
80% hashing power. So again, you should fix the Consensus::DEPLOYMENT_SEGWIT2X
terminology to correctly state it's DEPLOYMENT_BIP91, not segwit2x

Doing otherwise is misleading, and has been confusing the public.