[Bitcoin-segwit2x] Bitcoin Cash's mandatory replay protection - an example for B2X

Tom Zander tomz at freedommail.ch
Thu Jul 27 10:45:04 UTC 2017

Sorry, didn’t mean to suggest we use the ETH method. I see my message could
be read that way, that was not what I meant.

The point was that in Bitcoin replay protection is possible and easy to do
for exchanges etc without any software or protocol changes.

If you go back to my email, I suggested two ways of doing this.

On Thursday, 27 July 2017 11:50:17 CEST James Hilliard wrote:
> ETH does not use a UTXO model like bitcoin does so splitting coins
> there is quite a bit different(there were special contracts you would
> use to split coins that would then send the coins to different
> addresses depending on the chain).
>
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 1:02 AM, Tom Zander via Bitcoin-segwit2x
>
> <bitcoin-segwit2x at lists.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> >> Unfortunately replay protection is one of those things that (AFAIK)
> >> cannot be done without breaking existing clients/wallets.  By
> >> definition replay protection is incompatible, else the transactions
> >> could be replayed.
> >
> > The method used in ETH/ETC was one that didn’t change anything on the
> > network level.
> > Essentially you use an input that is only valid on one chain, thereby
> > rejecting it on the other. Those inputs could come from a coinbase only
> > one one chain or a bit faster, you mine a single transaction that is
> > 1MB in size, which won’t mine on the small-block chain.
> >
> > This is a proper and correct way to solve the problem for exchanges and
> > similar experts.
> >
> > It has the advantage of not requiring any preparation and thus the
> > market
> > can react based on actual hashpower present.
> >
> >> Maybe someone has a way that could be chosen as an opt-in, like BCC's
> >> original one-way replay protection, but such protection is of very
> >> limited use
> >
> > More to the point, those clients that either sent or received those
> > transactions still needed to be upgraded.
> >

> > --
> > Tom Zander
> > Blog: https://zander.github.io
> > Vlog: https://vimeo.com/channels/tomscryptochannel