[Bitcoin-segwit2x] Alpha Milestone

Mike Belshe mike at bitgo.com
Wed Jun 14 18:22:09 UTC 2017

Thanks for raising this question, Alex.

The team has considered this and is open to specific proposals.

As you know, one of the primary benefits of the simple 2mb increase
approach is that existing transaction processors on the chain do not need
modification.  The challenge with transaction level replay protection is
that for most implementations, you need to rewrite all the transaction
processors to change (set some additional bit or something).  Done
improperly, this could make deployment of the 2mb increase very difficult
on any timeframe as you'd have to modify every wallet, exchange, payment
processor, etc.

By contrast, if we have vast majority support combined with adequate
preparation time for all participants & exchanges, the need for this is
minimal.

Do you have a specific technical solution to consider?  If you propose one,
it is easier to discuss than discussing in abstract.

Mike