[Bitcoin-segwit2x] Alpha Milestone

Jameson Lopp jameson.lopp at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 06:07:15 UTC 2017

Regarding replay protection: it seems highly unlikely to me that it could
get implemented in a way that satisfies all parties and also meets the
project milestones. Thus my question becomes: what is the agreement (if
any) amongst the entities supporting SegWit2X regarding supporting other
chain forks? Especially exchanges, given that they are *incentivized* to
support multiple chain forks.

If the plan is to move forward without replay protection, is the assumption
that SegWit2X participants will

A) Not support a BIP148 chain fork if it occurs
B) Not support the counter-BIP148 hard fork proposed by Bitmain if it occurs
C) Not support the original 1MB base chain fork after the 2MB base hard
fork occurs

Neither I nor any of my colleagues are particularly enthusiastic about the
prospect of potentially having to support many chain forks without native
replay protection - what are everyone else's thoughts on the matter?

- Jameson