[Bitcoin-segwit2x] Alpha Milestone

Wu Jihan jihan.wu at bitmaintech.com
Thu Jun 15 15:18:45 UTC 2017

I think both way of protection should be designed. It is easier to split
the coin.

If it is possible we can derive the spec from UAHF.

https://github.com/Bitcoin-UAHF/spec/blob/master/replay-protected-sighash.md

Help small blockers to have their own world will help big blockers saving
energy with fight them.

And lots of Bitcoin holders may want to two kinds of Bitcoins as well.

Chris via Bitcoin-segwit2x
<bitcoin-segwit2x at lists.linuxfoundation.org>于2017年6月15日
周四22:48写道:

> On 06/14/2017 06:43 PM, Jeff Garzik via Bitcoin-segwit2x wrote:
> > As far as I'm aware, there is widespread consensus inside and outside
> > the WG that replay protection would be nice to have.
> >
> > The technical next-step question:   What is a method that (a) provides
> > replay protection yet (b) does not require a wallet upgrade?
> I'll repost Gavin's slack comment here for people who haven't seen it.
> While not comprehensive, it does seem like a quick and easy way to add
> replay protection.
>
> [9:14]
> It would be easy to add a rule that allows tx creators to create
> transactions that are not valid on the segwit2x chain.  E.g. rule could
> be any tx with OP_RETURN <magic_value> is considered invalid, where
> magic_value is just some arbitrary constant.
>
> [9:15]
> Would that be sufficient replay protection?  It is not clear to me what
> the requirements are.
>
> [9:16]
> With just that rule, an exchange could split their UTXOs by spending
> them on the 1MB chain using OP_RETURN <magic>. Wait for them to confirm,
> and then they're split.
>
> [9:17]
> The "wait for them to confirm on the 1MB chain" might take a very long
> time, of course, because of insufficient hashpower on that chain, but
> maybe that is a feature and not a bug

Jihan Wu, 吴忌寒
Bitmain Technologies Limited
jihan.wu at bitmaintech.com