[Bitcoin-segwit2x] Alpha Milestone

Mike Belshe mike at bitgo.com
Thu Jun 15 18:23:23 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 10:42 AM, Jared Lee Richardson <jaredr26 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Replay protection must be opt-in, not required, in my opinion. Requiring
> every wallet to upgrade is not necessary,
>
> They won't follow the +2mb hardfork anyway, unless I'm misunderstanding?
>
> > and people could lose funds if they are holding pre-signed time-locked
> transactions that become invalid.
>
> A valid point, but compared with the chaos that a lack of replay
> protection can cause if the legacy chain doesn't die...  Seems less
> painful overall.

Unfortunately, replay protection as defined is that it requires all
software to upgrade - miners, wallets, applications, etc.  It's a hard
enough problem just the get overwhelming miner support.  Getting
overwhelming support from every application on the chain is a much
different scenario.  Further, since we know some software is old and not
being updated, we know for a fact that users of that software, with replay
protection, will be stranded.

Our goal with segwit2x is to get massive miner support.  We'll see if we
get there.  But if we do get 95+% support, its a better scenario than the
very large chain split caused by requiring all application software to
upgrade.

Mike

--

*Mike Belshe*