[Bitcoin-segwit2x] segwit2x alpha release code drop

Stephen Pair stephen at bitpay.com
Fri Jun 16 19:47:57 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 3:25 PM, Vinny Lingham via Bitcoin-segwit2x <
bitcoin-segwit2x at lists.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> I still don't understand why, if we are increasing the block size to 2mb
> anyways, that Segwit needs a discount?
>
> https://twitter.com/vinnylingham/status/844654041703432192

Well, I would say the #1 reason is compatibility with the current segwit
implementation.  The witness discount (and the witness block itself) is a
way to soft fork in a capacity increase (of course, only if you use
segwit).  People observed that it also would be less costly to consume
UTXOs.  Believing that a smaller UTXO set is better, this is often cited as
a benefit of segwit, but that view might be rather myopic.