[Bitcoin-segwit2x] Segwit2x Final Steps

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 13:56:29 UTC 2017

On 11 November 2017 at 11:09, Hugh Madden via Bitcoin-segwit2x <
bitcoin-segwit2x at lists.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> I don't chime in much... But this is true.
>
> Later 2 can be considered a form of compression.
>
> If the source data set is amenable to compression, IE a limited number of
> nodes sending many transactions to reach other, the compression and hence
> effectiveness of lighting is high.
>
> If you have a large number of participants (retail) sending payments to
> each other without many collisions the compression is poor.
>
> So ultimately the effectiveness of a layer 2 solution will be only as
> stochastically effective as the real world use case in the above scenarios.
>
> I'd be pleasantly surprised to be wrong.

Layer 2 solutions already exist.  Consider an exchange or a poker room.
While effective, they, however are generally not zero trust, which is an
issue in itself.  For example, exchanges can be hacked, or go out of
business.  Segwit based L2 solutions require less trust, so provide a
useful addition to scaling transactions to a wider audience.

FWIW I do think the case for 2x is still strong, and I'd support it.  The
reason being that while it will be more expensive to run a full node,
hardware seems to be improving fast and the added benefit of the network
effect due to many businesses being able to operate more efficiently (at
least in the medium term) will be a net plus to bitcoin.  I also think
rolling out a hard fork, which will be needed in the longer term is a
useful exercise, and this is the hard fork most likely to achieve
consensus.  I believe well constructed arguments along these lines have a
chance of gaining traction.